Wild Animal Rehabilitation Center has busiest year ever – BC News

According to the BC SPCA’s Wild Animal Rehabilitation Center (Wild ARC), 2021 has been a banner year.

Thanks to the dedication of staff, volunteers and our community, Wild ARC was able to care for 3,128 animals last year from 137 different species, each with their own unique diet, treatment and enrichment needs.

In an average year, 70% of patients are birds, the remaining 30% being mammals, only occasionally admitting amphibians or reptiles.

From April to September, Wild ARC successfully reunited 84 baby animals with their wild mothers, including fledgling birds, deer fawns, raccoons, goslings, squirrels and rabbits.

Although every year has a pattern, Wild ARC says no two days are alike.

In September, Wild ARC admitted a beaver that was shot multiple times and suffered life-threatening injuries. Unfortunately, the damage to one of his eyes was so severe that it had to be removed. Wild ARC’s rehabilitators worked closely with their local vet who performed the surgery and then got to work providing the specialist care she needed to stabilize and recover her.

With so many different species and situations, Wild ARC rehabilitators must be highly trained to provide such specialized care.

Wild ARC is a member of provincial and international wildlife rehabilitation organizations and has a dedicated team of over 210 active volunteers who collectively donate over 20,000 hours of their time each year for animal care, funds and awareness to ensure that Wild ARC can continue this important work.

The BC SPCA says it relies primarily on donations from the public to carry out its rescue work helping the province’s most vulnerable birds and wildlife.

For more info and to donate, Click here.

Benjamin M. Yerger