Pet shelter OK after fire at Corpus Christi Animal Care Services

A fire broke out in the laundry room and dry food storage area and severely damaged one of the buildings.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — More than 100 animals that were sheltered at Corpus Christi Animal Care Services are doing well after a fire broke out at the facility late last night.

“A CCPD officer was passing by and saw the flames, stopped and made the call to CCFD. By the time I arrived, the fire brigade and the PD were already on the scene. The fire was brought under control and extinguished,” the director of animal care services said. Joel Skidmore.

The fire broke out in the laundry room and dry food storage area and severely damaged one of the buildings, officials said.

Electricity was cut at the facility and officials were able to obtain generators to help keep the animals warm.

“There were no animals in the building where the fire started. Speaking of all my staff, we have done a full welfare check on all the animals we have on campus. We walked through all the buildings to make sure all the animals were safe,” Skidmore said.

The Gulf Coast Humane Society was willing to help shelter some of the animals.

“When we found out they were going through a lot there, that they had no power or water, we started getting every part of our facility ready to accommodate animals,” said Gulf’s Jackie McCollough. Coast Humane Society.

While the help isn’t ultimately needed, she said it shows how the two organizations work together when needed.

Skidmore said fortunately they have another space where they also store food and said the comfort of the animals will remain paramount.

“The city has been very proactive. There were a number of departments in sight today to ensure the campus is staff-friendly and animal-friendly,” Skidmore said.

The cause of the fire appears to be electrical in nature.

The Gulf Coast Humane Society will not be open today 2/4 due to an emergency at animal care services. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Posted by Gulf Coast Humane Society on Friday, February 4, 2022

There is no word yet on the cause of the fire. We’ll keep you posted on kiiitv.com as more information arrives.

More 3News on KIIITV.com:

Want to send us a news tip?

Include your name and contact information below so we can contact you about your story if we have questions or need more information. We realize that some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you wish to remain anonymous.

If you don’t have a photo/video to submit, just click “OK” to skip this prompt.


Benjamin M. Yerger