A man allegedly shot his own brother at the animal hospital, causing a barricade

BALTIMORE — After a three-hour standoff with police, a gunman who allegedly opened fire Monday morning inside a Federal Hill animal hospital has turned himself in.

WMAR-2 News learns the gunman shot his own brother, who is a veterinarian at Light Street Animal Hospital, before barricading himself inside the building.

A worker’s grandfather told WMAR-2 News the incident stemmed from a dispute between landlord and tenant.

“She was there when I walked up the stairs to make sure she was okay. She was in the room with [the victim]”, Al Melaragno said. “When I opened the door, she said, ‘Yes, I’m fine,’ and I asked her where the brother of the doctor who had shot her was. She said he was in her apartment on the third floor.

The victim had apparently allowed his brother to live in an apartment he owns above the hospital, but planned to evict him.

We’re told that’s what ultimately led to the shooting.

Melaragno added that he met the suspected shooter on Sunday, which caused him concern.

“Yesterday I saw him at Ace Hardware with these two seven and a half gallon gas tanks, and I asked him what he was doing with them, because I talked to him before. He said he was going to get gas for some boats at the port, which I found quite odd,” Melaragno said. “He told one of them on the phone, one of those employees, that he was going to blow up the building.”

So far, police have only confirmed that the victim was a 66-year-old man, who was shot in the leg.

As investigators negotiated with the shooter, residents and businesses within a block of the area were forced to evacuate temporarily.

Steven Rigby was one of those affected.

“I was standing a block away and the cops came out and said, ‘We’re going to stop this. He’s got a gun and you’re in the line of fire.

The nearby Thomas Johnson Elementary School has also been placed under lockdown until the situation is resolved.

Police say no one else was injured in the incident. They have yet to release the name of the suspect, or the specific charges he faces.

“The hostage negotiators as well as with the help of the community, we were able to speak to the citizen and have the suspect returned to us a few minutes ago without any incident,” the police colonel said. of Baltimore, Richard Worley.

Following the incident, the pet hospital sent a text message informing its customers that all appointments would be canceled until further notice.

The hospital said it would reopen at 8 a.m. on Tuesday for the collection of food and medicine only.

Benjamin M. Yerger